Monday, May 21, 2012

creativity unleashed :: my new challenge to myself and my blog



hello and happy monday beautiful people!

i have had a little break from my day job these past four days thanks to my conveniently located chicago office and the nato summit. i cannot remember the last time i took off of work for a non-wanderlustings related reason {which usually entails more work!}. so it has literally felt like i've taken a sabbatical or something.

one of the things i have been struggling with lately has been unleashing my creativity. recently, i get all of these ideas that float in and out of my creative consciousness and i have to put them aside because i am busy with {day job} work or busy with blogging or busy with making jewelry. luckily, i have come to realize that this 'setting aside' in no way benefits myself - so lately i have been indulging it in every way possible.

i have never felt so refreshed, so alive and so true to myself.

it struck me when i was watching a few ted talks - specifically the ones with tavi gevinson and gala darling. they are such inspirational women. they are fearless and unapologetic of who they are. they embrace it. i realized then that i needed to be more aware of who i am and fully embrace it.

well, my entire life i have been a little ball of creativity. making art, playing pretend and creating visions in my head was an everyday occurrence. it still is today - but i became so adjusted to stifling these musings to make way for  what i deemed as more 'productive' work.

so when i began conceptualizing my new line of jewelry for the nyigf this year, i was scared. i hadn't let my creativity run willy nilly since...i can't remember when. it took some getting used to that is for sure.

i think something sparked inside of me when i saw the charles and ray eames documentary called the architect and the painter when i attended the architecture and design film festival this past april. the way charles and ray experimented was dumbfounding. they were fearless, especially charles; handling enormous contracts with no clear end result in mind. he would just focus on the process of creating - not the end result. he would do seemingly absurd things like concentrating on filmmaking even though he was a designer. but what people seemed to miss was the fact that charles was not just a designer - he was a creative truly in touch with his process of creativity and experimentation.

suddenly, everything came full circle for me::
why was i stifling this part of me?
it's okay to do things differently.
it's okay to see things differently.
it's okay to use your imagination.
it's okay to play pretend.
it's okay to just create - for no reason at all.
that's the best part about creativity.
it has no limits. it has no restrictions or rules.
it's unbridled minds at their best.

i've started to look at things much differently. and i must say that i like being who i am - even though to quite a few people it may be 'different.' i like that about myself. in fact, i LOVE that about myself.

so i am encouraging all of you out there to be 100% true to yourself, find out what you may be stifling and take this incredible journey with me. wanderlustings is a purely judgment-free zone as of today. let's be fearless together. have fun with our creativity and keep on wandering our own paths.

from here on out wanderlustings will be about::
- exercising your creativity
- looking at things in unorthodox ways
- embracing uniqueness
- applauding others who are fearlessly unique
- how to build your creativity into a business

i hope you like what's to come!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful and inspiring thoughts! I'm very excited to see what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reading, Andrea! i am so lad you're as excited as i am!!

      Delete
  2. I have been feeling super uninspired lately, even questioning the purpose of my blog and whether I should just give up. But after reading your post, I can feel a tiny spark slowly surfacing. Thanks for such an inspiring post Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, i am sorry you've been feeling the same way, carmen. i hope i can zip you up a little bit with what i'm working on. for what it's worth - i am a mega-fan of your blog, dressmaking and especially illustrations. i don't know what i'd do without your blog. i hope that my next couple of posts will help to spark something special and challenge you creatively. i know i love a good challenge - especially a creative one. much love, caitlin xo

      Delete
  3. Love love loving the fearless side of you! It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you, Lydia! i couldn't be more happy writing about this stuff and experimenting with my posts! i think i finally found my niche!

      Delete
  4. Such great ideas...more than ideas...such great practices. One of the things I find when i'm in a desert with making being intimidating, I'll just start simple. I'll make something really small. And then that super simple act of making will start to spark new ideas in my mind. It's like the act of my hands doing something and my eyes watching me do something gets the momentum rolling again.

    One of my favorite simple projects to get the ball rolling is the "What is your treasure" project (excuse me while I drop a link here http://www.flickr.com/photos/spudart/sets/72157623952095237/with/6028593061/) Something simple. Something small. But full of lots of potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. matt, i am so glad you can relate. it's a fabulous idea to start simple when you are in a rut, overwhelmed or intimidated by the concept of creating. for me, once i do that and feel that i've conquered my fear, i feel so much more confident to get quirky and allow myself to think outside the box.

      i absolutely LOVE this project of yours!!! what a fun way to get the ball rolling and definitely full of potential! what a great practice!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for being so honest about creativity and developing as an artist. Strangely I was having this conversation with my friend Emily (on my blog all the time) the other day and we were discussing about how an artist with a full time job (to support her daily living) can keep a full time job yet develop as an artist. Unlike our banking friends who do not really need to meditate and develop in their careers (well perhaps it's different), the artist needs to figure out how to support herself while furthering her talent. One takes money, the other takes time. And we're always torn between the two. I guess that's partially the reason why I left my old job: I wasn't growing as a designer and I needed to be out of the office to be inspired and stimulated to continue creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so welcome, sam. i'm happy that my honesty is well-received. i think we all go through this quite often but are afraid to admit it and scared to conquer or indulge it sometimes. it's such a compromise when you work full time. it feels like you have no down-time so taking on other projects feels more like a chore than a creative release. that should not be the case though.

      that's awesome that you realized you needed more and left your job. how courageous! how is it going for you? do you still have a different full time job? i would love to know!

      Delete